2.21.2007

A girl scout all over again!

Every Tuesday night is Robert’s Sea Scouts meet. Hubby was one of the volunteer scout leader there but since he is often out of town on business, his responsibility fell on me. The scouts here are run by volunteers and anybody is welcome to join and help out. Our group consists of 26 kids ranging between the age of ten to twelve. At first, I was pretty hesitant in joining as a volunteer since a great part of it is spent on sailing and sail I can’t! Sure we have a boat and we sail in the summers but I am just the happy passenger who sees to it that we won’t go hungry wherever we end up. But I gave it a thought and decided to try it out. So like a new kid in the group, I had to learn the basics from the kids and the other leaders. And learn a lot I did! I started last October and I can proudly say that I can now start a fire the ancient way, do a proper bonfire, orient through unfamiliar territory eg. forests using a map and a compass correctly, navigate using the stars as the guide, basic things about sailing and last tuesday, with the kids, I got to learn First Aid - mouth to mouth resuscitation, heart massage, how to temporarily fix a fracture in the lower limb, and know what to do in case of an emergency involving accidents and the like! It’s been fun and I still have a lot to learn. But so far, it’s been a very enriching experience for me and I can honestly say that this is one of the best things I’ve ever done in my adult life. Here are some pictures from last Tuesday’s meet…